Encyclopedias and Other Reference Works
Krannert Memorial Library has numerous encyclopedias, dictionaries, atlases, directories, and other "reference" works located on the first floor. In addition, we offer the following online reference works:
- Credo Reference
Full-text access to 162 general reference works with cross-linking between
texts and ability to search across any group of texts.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
Full-text of over 70 reference books on a variety of topics.
- Oxford Reference Online Premium
An outstanding collection of 198 language and subject reference works published by Oxford University Press, including Oxford Companions, Dictionaries, and Encyclopedias, cross-searchable and covering a full array of subjects from Art to Zoology.
- Gale Directories Library
- Wards Business Directory of U.S. Private and Public Companies
- Encyclopedia of Associations: National Associations
- National Directory of Non-Profit Organizations
- Oxford English Dictionary Online
The OED is the definitive historical dictionary of the English language, with over half a million words from the Middle Ages (1150) through the present. Entries include word forms and etymology, and include quotations that demonstrate usage.
A broad collection of quick reference information, including statistics,
weather, calendars, dictionaries, grammar and style guides, atlases, quotations,
and much more.
- Image Collection (Click on "Advanced Search" to choose database.)
Images of people, places, flags, maps, and nature.
- The Internet Public Library
Includes links to "ready reference" materials, subject collections, research pathfinders, e-books, and more.
- Magill's Medical Guide
Includes information on
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Diagnosis and Testing
- Diseases, Disorders, and Symptoms
- Mental Health
- Prevention and Lifestyle
- Social Issues
- Specialties and Health Care Providers
- Treatment and Therapy
- Oxford Art Online
This database provides access to Grove Art Online, a scholarly art encyclopedia covering all aspects of Western and non-Western visual art from prehistory to the present day. Also provides access to over 5,000 searchable and embedded art images, maps, and line drawings and over 40,000 editorially selected image links to museums and galleries around the world. In addition, the database includes:
- Oxford Companion to Western Art
- Encyclopedia of Aesthetics
- Concise Oxford Dictionary of Art Terms
- Oxford Music Online
- The Oxford Dictionary of Music
- Grove Music Online
- The Oxford Companion to Music
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Designed so that each entry in the field of Philosophy is maintained and kept up to date by an expert or group of experts in the field. Maintained by Stanford University.